If there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I love pancakes. I like making them, but I love eating them. I have a sweet tooth. I'm a person who cannot start their day until they have had their breakfast. So the best breakfast for me is something that is quick and easy to make and doesn't involve cooking; like a smoothie (see previous post) or a bowl of cereal. Boring, I know. So I always use brunch-time as an excuse to cook up a storm in the kitchen and experiment.
Whenever I have the time and ingredients, pancakes are my go-to choice. I've also started making French toast which I'll probably share with you in the future. Today I decided to try something I haven't made before, blueberry pancakes. They are really easy to make and of course taste amazing. This recipe makes about five pancakes, enough for one greedy person (like me) or can be increased to cater for more people.
100g plain flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp melted butter, plus extra for frying
Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
Couple drops of vanilla extract (optional)
1 heaped tsp baking powder
Golden or maple syrup
- Combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl. Sift the flour and baking powder. Then add the sugar and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl melt the butter and allow to cool before mixing with the egg, milk and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Heat a frying pan to medium/high heat. Melt a knob of butter add a ladleful of batter, spreading gently to create a circular shape.
- Cook for approx. 1-2 minutes until bubbles start to form on the pancake. Then turn and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. (Side note: I added the blueberries on top of the batter already on the pan but you can mix them into the batter beforehand.)
- Store in a preheated oven or on a plate on top of a pan of hot water to keep warm while preparing the rest of the batter.
- Serve with golden syrup, or whatever floats your boat. Enjoy!
Click here to see my post on my previous creation buttermilk pancakes xo