With the coconut cupcake from my previous post as inspiration, I decided to bake my own. I'd never made them before so as I do when baking something new, I went searching on the internet and combined a few recipes I found. I haven't mentioned it below but I added some buttermilk to the batter for a creamy taste. Also, the recipes I found generally said they made 12 but I managed to get 17; and that was with muffin cases as my cupcakes cases ran out! I must admit the buttercream icing is very sweet, but the cupcakes are delish.
6oz caster sugar
6oz self-raising flour
1oz dessicated coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
For the buttercream icing:
8oz icing sugar
few drops of vanilla extract
dessicated coconut to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/Gas Mark 4. Line a cupcake tin with paper cupcake cases.
- Cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until fully combined.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and vanilla extract into a smooth consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 20 minutes, until well risen and golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the butter and icing sugar then add a few drops of vanilla extract. Pipe the icing onto the cakes (or use a spatula) and sprinkle with some more dessicated coconut.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and let me know if you give it a try. Also, if there are any you think I should try or you would like to see, please leave a comment below xo